Alle danske modelpiloters forum

Brugeravatar
g_kandylakis
Emnestarter
Kontakt:

AVRO 504 N/O research assistance

30 dec 2015 19:30

As this happens to be my first post, my greetings to all members of the forum.

First of all I wish to apologize for writing in English, unfortunately my Danish is completely non-existent. German and Greek were my only other options, so English is by far better. I did not want to write in the English section, as this is mostly scale related.

I am an aeromodeller from Greece and I joined this forum only a few days ago. The main reason for my joining is the AVRO 504 N, of which I wish to build an accurate scale model and I am looking for some additional documentation material.

I build mostly indoor scale models, both free flight and small radio controlled, some even combined. Here are some links of some of my builds, in order to give a more precise idea for those who might be interested:
de Havilland 9: her
Spad 13: her
Avro monoplane: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?topic=15029.0

de Havilland flight: her

Both Denmark and Greece used the AVRO 504 N in the 1920s-30s, both built it under licence in some numbers. I am of course aware that there is a surviving 504 "N" on display at the Danish aviation museum in Stauning. I have been given plenty of photographs of it from fellow modellers who have seen and photographed it. Most of the existing photographs of Greek Avro "N" aircraft have already been posted on this Greek forum for static display modellers: http://www.modelclub.gr/forums/index...c,19622.0.html

I have been researching this aircraft for quite a long time and have already managed to find 3-view drawings published in England and in the USA. However, when comparing them between them or with actual photographs, I discovered quite a lot of inaccuracies, so they cannot be trusted completely.

During my search I found out that there must be in existence, original construction drawings of the Danish aircraft. I found this site: her which seems to be run by a Danish aeromodeller, but I was unable to get in contact with him. He mentions he has drawings, so they must exist somewhere. I wanted to contact the Aviation Museum but I could not find an email address on their website.

It may seem a bit extreme to look for such detailed drawings for a 1/20 scale model, given its small size, but since I want to build it for competition, it needs to be as accurate as possible and I would like to have the best possible documentation for it. I am going to invest a lot of time in the construction anyway (minimum 1-2 years), so it had better be time well spent...

So, my main question to anyone who can help is, if these drawings are indeed available and how and where should I ask for copies of them. Is it from the Museum or from other sources I do not know of? Any help or pointing to further directions will be most welcome.

Second request is for any material that might be of assistance with my research, which has been circulated in Denmark in the past, about the Avro 504 N. Again, I am mostly looking for drawings both of the airplane and of the Armstrong Siddeley Lynx engine. I have plenty of photographs of the airplanes, mainly in English service, which provide a lot of the details already, plus of course the excellent pictures of the Museum Avro.

Any help or suggestions will be most welcome.

I do not know if I can return the favour with anything related with Greek aviation, but ask if there is a need.

My apologies for the rather long post and my best wishes for 2016!

George Kandylakis

Brugeravatar
LKJ
Kontakt:

I have being working on

30 dec 2015 20:27

I have being working on her for like 25 years and i know the museum do not have the drawings sorry.
I do know there is something like 2500 drawings for all the parts to build a 1/1 :eek:
There was a UAS citizen who wisted the museum shortly after we got it, he was building a 1/1 and was missing some of them and he photoed and making drawings of it but i dont know who he was ;)
It was build on orglogs værftet on license.
The museum is closed for vinter so i wil first be there again for next summer, if you can wait to then i can photograph and so on what you need then.
I will ask a little around and se if i can find anything for you. ;)
And happy new year to you to.
MVH.
Lars Kruse Jensen
MFD 8187

Medlem af bestyrelsen i http://www.uas-sport.dk/

Medlem af.
Sleipner modelflyveklub.

Brugeravatar
altidsulten
Kontakt:

Also please note that the

30 dec 2015 20:45

Also please note that the Danish "K"-models was later on updated to "N" standart, i am not sure if this was just a matter of fitting a new engine and the landing skid?? But updates like this might be the answer to why drawings does not fit with pictures

Brugeravatar
g_kandylakis
Emnestarter
Kontakt:

Thank you both for your

31 dec 2015 20:19

Thank you both for your replies.

Mr. Jensen, you did clarify some things about the Museum for me. Yes, I can wait... I will be in the structure stage by then (hopefully), so it will be possible to change - correct things.
Anything you find will be most welcome.

[USER="1412"]altidsulten[/USER:42564ccd], the two types were really very similar, but not exactly the same. My problem is that the drawings do not match written dimensions (wing chord, gap etc.) plus there are inaccuracies in outlines copmared to real photographs.
One drawing is from 1957, so this is understandable. The other is from the 80s, more accurate, but also hand drawn, with all the errors that creep into that. Having done a few 3-view drawings myself, I know it is not an easy task to do with 100% accuracy, but they are a starting point.

Anyway, the new year is coming soon, so Happy 2016 to everyone!

George Kandylakis

Brugeravatar
g_kandylakis
Emnestarter
Kontakt:

Summer is pretty much here,

07 jul 2016 23:46

Summer is pretty much here, I was wondering if it has been possible to discover anything from the Museum. Not much progress has been made so far, in anticipation of, hopefully, new information and drawings.

Thanks,

George

Brugeravatar
LKJ
Kontakt:

Summer is pretty much here,

08 jul 2016 02:44

Summer is pretty much here, I was wondering if it has been possible to discover anything from the Museum. Not much progress has been made so far, in anticipation of, hopefully, new information and drawings.

Thanks,

George

Sorry George forgot you :o but i vil be working on the Museeum this weekend so if you know what pars you need fotos off i can take them for you friday and saturday ewning.

I wil be on summer workingcamp on the museeum from the 18-23/7 and there wil be people hwo maybe know somthing about it.

I wil be online all the days on an off both in this weekend and on the camp so it wil be this dayes you maybe best can have some luck with questions. ;)

Sorry for my poor Englis :o
MVH.
Lars Kruse Jensen
MFD 8187

Medlem af.
Sleipner modelflyveklub.

Brugeravatar
LKJ
Kontakt:

No Title

09 jul 2016 21:05

Just a couple teasers from today. ;)

If you PM me you mail addres i can share on Dropbox.
MVH.
Lars Kruse Jensen
MFD 8187

Medlem af.
Sleipner modelflyveklub.

Brugeravatar
g_kandylakis
Emnestarter
Kontakt:

Re: AVRO 504 N/O research assistance

08 jun 2017 22:02

Hi Lars,

I thanked you in person, a public thanks is also in order for your time, assisance and general help at documenting the Avro at Stauning. Most welcome and most appreciated.

You have a most impressive aviation museum.

George

PS. already at work on the drawings, you were right, there is always some small thing that is missing afterwards...nothing too serious though.